Kannur is one of the most important coastal towns of Kerala. It lies about 310 km. from Kochi and 92 km. from Kozhikode. Kannur is a town of great historical importance and was the capital of the North Kolathiri Rajas for many centuries. Like Muziris (Kannur) and Kollam, it was once a premier port of ancient Kerala. Marco Polo has referred to Kannur as a great Emporia of spice trade. It came into full political lime light in the 15th century with the arrival of the Portuguese. The St. Angelo Fort built by the first Portuguese Viceroy in 1505 is a landmark of Kannur.